Saturday, November 17, 2012

Be Grateful, My Children

I've said before "Gratitude is engrained in me." I think gratitude is an important lesson for our kids, as well. I stumbled across this pin entitled "How to Raise Grateful Children" and it prompted me to write the following:  


To My Children
There are a few things you need to know now before I don't have the chance to say them.

You probably won't be blown away by these words right now. Your little ears, your little eyes, your teen mind - they aren't ready for these words. But one day, they will be.

Forever, I will LOVE every gift you ever give me. Above anything I ever receive your love will be the most cherished gift I'll ever receive.

Homemade picture frames, hand-printed cards, funny hats with duct tape, poems straight from your little heart- they will always be a treasure for me. They will always remind me of the time I spent with you.

There are also some things that you give me that are priceless compared to any material gift you'll ever give.

HONOR: Honoring me will teach you how to honor yourself and your GOD. Honor will freeze your ego dead in its tracks and will remind you that it's not always about you.

GRATITUDE: Gratitude for each item you've ever possessed will teach you that it's not about the STUFF but more about the  way you handled or treated the stuff. Gratitude no matter what you possess or are going thru teaches you to perservere through ALL things.

LOVE: I want to teach you to love. I want you to love yourself, love your parents, love your neighbor, your friends, your teachers, your peers, your mentors, your work and your GOD.

HUMILITY: Life, trials, struggles, change- its not always about YOU. Be mindful that ALL of your actions will affect someone else and you'll be responsible  no matter the outcome.  By teaching you humility you learn to be humble in everything you do and in turn you will be able to see everyone's perspective rather than just your own. GOD is with you through all and that should be the most humbling lesson of all.

GRACE: As your parent, I want to teach you the same grace that I've been shown throughout my life. Everyone deserves a second chance to prove themselves. Every day that you wake up, remember that GOD'S GRACE has given you another day to get it right and pass on that grace to others.

FAITH: I hope to teach you that faith is something you should cling to in ALL circumstances. "Faith like a mustard seed.." is stepping out when no one else does or stepping up when no one else will. Faith means trust and trust cannot be seen it heard. You have to KNOW. Faith in GOD no matter where or what you are can pull you out of a valley and set you atop the  highest of mountains in matter of moments. Faith in yourself and your dreams is a must and I hope that I've taught you to never waiver in your doubts. Faith is KNOWING GOD WILL always do what's best got you. Always.

It is my legacy to leave you with these lessons and hope they are reciprocated to me and every face you meet for the rest of your life.

Love,
Your mama

No comments:

Post a Comment